During our day to day life, we spend a good part of the time taking care of keeping our house clean. The cleaning of the home that is pleasurable for our well-being. On the other hand, these products can impose a risk to our physical integrity, due to the toxic substances contained in many chemical household products.
The active ingredients in these products can be harmful and toxic, so it is a good alternative to use ecological and natural home cleaning products, which do not harm health.
There are many cleaning products available in supermarkets, we find one for each purpose, for example, dishwasher; sanitary water; degreasers; surface cleaners; stain removers; clothes washer, degreaser, environmental deodorizer, disinfectants, etc.
In certain situations, it is not possible to use natural cleaning products due to availability. So, it is recommended to read the label on the packaging of chemical products, to know their composition, and to choose those that do not cause damage or, at least, are less harmful or dangerous to health.
Another issue to keep in mind is that, by using these products, we are contributing to the release of polluting and toxic substances into the environment, causing a negative impact on life in Nature.
Contact with these products, through smell and touch, also affects our health, besides representing risks for children and domestic animals that have had accidental contact with such products.
At this point, you may be wondering, but what are the dangerous and harmful household cleaning products for our health that you should quit using now?
- It is a widely used product and one of the most toxic element
- Exposure to and contact with this substance can cause irritation and allergy to the skin and eyes.
- Inhalation can lead to respiratory problems and even asthma attacks.
- If you have to use it, never mix it with other substances, as it can trigger the release of pollutants and toxic gases.
- If you have this product in your home cleaning dispenser, store it and keep it in a safe and well-ventilated place.
- If possible, replace it with a natural bleach, such as sodium bicarbonate.
- Generally, this product is used for degreasing or polishing glass.
- It is toxic and has a harmful effect on health and can trigger asthma attacks and affect our brain in case of prolonged exposure.
- It is possible to avoid buying ammonia by using natural degreasers such as white vinegar, sodium bicarbonate, or lemon juice.
3. Perfumes and deodorants for environments
- A scented and clean house brings us a lot of satisfaction, but sometimes this is achieved at the expense of damage to health.
- Perfumes, room deodorizers, and air purifiers are usually made with allergenic chemicals (which cause allergic reactions).
- In the most sensitive people, these products can cause respiratory problems and skin irritations.
- In place of these products, there are some natural solutions, such as essential oils, which can be diffused in environments or added to ecological and natural cleaning products.
4. Caustic soda
- Caustic soda or sodium hydroxide is a very dangerous and corrosive chemical substance, so caution is needed in its handling due to its reactive potential.
- In contact with water, this substance becomes highly corrosive.
- It is a product that degreases, defoggers, and cleans sewage, in contrast, can cause serious damage to our skin, eyes, and respiratory system.
- There are better natural alternatives, with the same cleaning purposes attributed to caustic soda, such as sodium bicarbonate and citric acid.
- In general, formaldehyde is found in the formulation of various cleaning products.
- Formaldehyde is a substance with a carcinogenic effect.
- Having contact with this substance, on a continuous basis, can trigger irritation to the skin, mouth, eyes, and serious respiratory problems.
- To avoid contact with products that have this substance, it is necessary to read the packaging of each product and check the list of ingredients in its formulation.
- If formaldehyde or formalin is written, it is best to keep it on the shelf for your health.
- Borax, also known as sodium borate, is often used in the formulation of laundry soaps or for general household cleaning.
- Scientific studies have shown that prolonged exposure to this substance has negative effects on libido and reproduction.
- The reason is that it interferes with the hormonal system and also causes irritation to the skin and mucous membranes.
- It is worth remembering the option of using natural ingredients such as sodium bicarbonate, lemon juice, vinegar, and salt, ingredients that can be used in place of borax.
7. Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid)
- This product is mainly used to remove difficult dirt from surfaces due to its descaling and decalcifying power.
- This chemical that is harmful to health, once diluted in water, is very volatile, facilitating its inhalation and damaging the respiratory system. This substance, because it is corrosive, can cause inflammation and burns to the skin.
- It is better to use the most natural solutions, even if they are less descaling.
8. Quaternary ammonium salt
- This substance, found in the formulation of household cleaning products, has an antibacterial and disinfectant effect, but in contrast, can cause irritation to the respiratory tract and trigger asthma attacks.
- To find out which products contain the quaternary ammonium salt, check the list of ingredients in the cleaning products.
- It is possible to replace products with this active ingredient by natural options for disinfecting and cleaning surfaces, using sodium bicarbonate or tea tree oil (the melaleuca oil).
- These chemicals are surfactants which may be included in the list of ingredients in cleaning products, with the following names: monoethanolamine, diethanolamine, and triethanolamine.
- They are usually found in washing soaps, floor cleaners, and tiles.
- The biggest problem with ethanolamines is that these substances are associated with an increased risk of triggering respiratory problems and asthma.
- Products used to polish metals and silver may contain toluene, which is a substance that acts as a solvent and can cause harmful effects such as nausea, headaches, dizziness, and hallucinations.
- Prolonged exposure to this chemical can damage the proper functioning of the kidneys, liver, and brain and can be toxic and harmful to reproduction.
- There are natural alternatives that do not require the use of products containing toluene and some of them are sodium bicarbonate, white vinegar, and lemon juice.
Ecological Cleanliness, Beneficial to All
Well, in view of these notes and clarifications, a better way not to expose yourself to these risks and harmful effects on health is to adhere to ecological cleaning.
Want to know more about this type of cleaning, search our site that has several contents bringing information and guidance on the subject.
It is worth knowing and using natural cleaning products, because it is good for us, for our home, our family, for other living beings and for all of Nature!