Using certified organic feminine hygiene products can also be sustainable for the planet and beneficial to your health. Learn all about this natural and organic alternative you should try.
Although the danger may appear to be zero, every time you use a tampon you run the risk of toxic shock, a disease caused by two types of bacteria - staphylococcus aureus and streptococcus pyogenes. That can be generated by using this method on menstrual days because the absorption of the tampon causes a concentration of oxygen giving way to these toxins.
Also, the chemicals in wipes, tampons, and pads can be harmful to your health. These products use chlorine to bleach the cotton, which contains dioxin, a toxin that can affect the reproductive organs because it is stored in our bodies. This component is one of the causes of endometriosis, a disease that can cause infertility and acute pain during menstruation.
There are also sanitary pads that contain a "super absorbent gel". However, what not many people know is that this component can cause toxic shock, just like tampons. Rayon is also an element that is part of the pads, that mesh we see in our pads is used to contain the fluids, but at the same time, it does not let our skin breathe and increases the bacteria in the area causing vaginal and urinary infections.
The environment is also harmed by these products because a woman uses around 9,000 and 13,000 sanitary pads during her life and these end up in the garbage where they take around 700 years to degrade.
Find Out A Sustainable And Healthy Alternative
For women who do not want to stop using tampons and pads for comfort in their menstrual cycle, the Seventh generation feminine care offers biodegradable, chlorine-free, organic and natural products.
The positive aspect of this feminine hygiene brand is that it comes in formats such as sanitary pads, ultrathin overnight pads, ultrathin pads with wings, regular maxi pads, and chlorine-free pads. All with the same characteristics 100% organic cotton, 0% plastic, and 0% irritation. In addition, they have 7 benefits that make them healthier for your body because they are
- Free of chlorine bleaching. So your body will not absorb toxic elements such as dioxin.
- Biodegradable. Seventh Generation products are certified as biodegradable, which means that they do not leave unnecessary residues for future generations.
- Made from 100% Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) certified organic cotton. This natural material allows your skin to breathe, avoiding rashes and infections.
- No irritating plastics or perfumes. These toxins will not penetrate your body and you are not in danger of absorbing chlorine-derived chemicals used in perfumery.
- They are composed of natural absorbents derived from cellulose and are more effective. They do not contain rayon or an absorbent "super gel", so you are free from the risk of suffering toxic shock and having urinary or vaginal infections (which are caused by these components), as they allow your skin to breathe.
- They are recommended by gynecologists. Gynecologist says that the fragrances used in traditional products cause irritation in the genital area and that tampons that use plastic and "greater absorbent" materials do not allow the area to breathe. So they encourage the presence of fungi. Finally, the experts say:
It is a short-term benefit since its ingredients affect the genital area by modifying the Ph and causing adverse irritations that ultimately predispose the development of pathogenic germs in the area. It is a double-edged sword.
Seventh generation products do not contain these components, therefore they take care of your health and protect you from diseases.
- Seventh generation products are organic, as they are not tested on animals and do not contain any animal-derived ingredients.
So, we see that a worthy alternative to feminine hygiene products from the mass market is already on the market. Certified organic feminine hygiene products for feminine hygiene from pure organic cotton are already starting to gain momentum.
If you haven't thought about changing your method of caring for yourself today, you now have two reasons to do so, to take care of your planet and your health.